Sunday, December 18, 2011

THE STATE OF THE NIGERIAN ROADS.


                                     An accident which occurred on the Lokoja-Ajaokuta Road.



As a Nigerian child and citizen,I was(still am) opportuned to travel around the country on a  road trip,I also had the experience of nite  journeys.Any traveler/motorist plying the  Nigerian road must consult His/Her god(s) for  protection because you never can pre-empt  what the journey might look like.

Once upon a time,I embarked on a road trip  from Lagos to Owerri,on getting ore(Ondo  state) by 1.00pm in the afternoon,we got  stuck in a heavy traffic jam that saw us  spend 6hours from Ore to Okada(Edo  state),"the apparent flight hour duration  form Lagos to London".Eventually,I got to my  destination by past midnight the following  day;HOW OUTRAGEOUS!Yes, but it was the  situation I found myself on that faithfully  day.Lagos to Owerri  shouldn't exceed more than  7hours on a good dual carriage road.

On another road trip,I embarked on a journey  from lagos to Abuja,I held my breathe in  anxiety till I got past Gwagwalada area of  the FCT.The dual carriage road from Ibadan to  Ife,well I would say was 40% fair,which is  not good enough and risk free,then from Ife  to Illesa,down towards Owo and Akure is  entirely another horrible story.We got to a  town named Magongo(Edo State) heading towards  Okene(kogi state),that was when my Nightmare  dawned on me as a daylight reality.The road  was a sham,I don't know if I should use the  word 'Dilapidated' because I feel it is not  the best word to describe the true situation  .The pot holes were  like 3feet deep,single  lanes with sharp bends that can make you  vehicle tumble,you look at both Sides of the  road and all you see is abandoned accident  vehicles of different types.

Our vehicle,on that same day ran into an  accident scene some 15km away after okene,A  commuter bus carrying 18 passengers had just  summasulted,Killing, children,adults and of  course,there were survivors including a six  months old baby.During our rescue Mission,We  called the F.R.S.C and informed them about  the incident,it took them half an hour to  arrive at the accident scene,by then victims that were supposed to survive if adequate first aid had been administered to them gave up the ghost.

Amanda Knox,the American student who allegedly murdered her roomate in Italy was in prison awaiting trial for four years,the US government fought very hard an used all diplomatic measures to get her young citizen free;why?They did it cos they value they value the lives of their citizens more than anything in this world,

The Nigerian government have no regard for lives of their masses.The F.R.S.C. preaches about driving rules and Regulations,this one! This that! but turn blind eye to the state of Nigerian Roads.

The legislators representing their various constituencies and zones needs to up their game,the people back home in the village and township all depend on them and await the dividends of democracy @ their door steps.


IT IS BETTER TO COME UP WITH A ONE POINT AGENDA ON THE REHABILITATION AND CONSTRUCTION OF ALL NIGERIAN ROADS AND ACCOMPLISH IT,RATHER THAN TO HAVE A 15 POINT AGENDA  AND FINISH THE TENURE EMPTY HANDED WITHOUT A SINGLE CREDIT.


SAVE THE LIVES OF YOUR CITIZENS BY DECLARING A STATE OF EMERGENCY ON ALL NIGERIAN ROADS.

No comments:

Post a Comment